LASIK Consultation & Co-Management
Are you considering LASIK surgery but aren’t sure if it’s the right choice for you? At Hanna Eye Care in Jacksonville, Florida, we offer LASIK and refractive eye surgery consultations to help you decide if LASIK surgery is the best option for you. We also offer post-operative care to ensure everything is healing smoothly.
Types of laser eye surgery
Laser eye surgery (or refractive eye surgery) is a type of surgery that uses lasers to reshape the cornea and correct vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. It’s a safe and effective way to improve vision and reduce the need for glasses or contact lenses.
Below are some of the most common types of laser eye surgery, each of which is designed to correct different vision problems:
- LASIK (Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis): This is the most popular type of laser eye surgery. It uses a laser to reshape the cornea to correct vision problems like myopia (nearsightedness).
- PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy): PRK is similar to LASIK but uses a different technique to reshape the cornea. During the procedure, the outer layer of the cornea is removed before the laser reshapes the cornea. PRK may be a better option for people with thin corneas or other corneal abnormalities.
- LASEK (Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis): With this procedure, the surgeon creates a thin flap in the outer layer of the cornea to access the tissue underneath. The laser then reshapes the cornea to correct your vision. This option may be recommended if you have a thin cornea or require a more precise treatment.
- Epi-LASIK: This is a newer type of laser eye surgery that combines aspects of both LASIK and LASEK. This innovative procedure uses a special device to gently separate the outer layer of the cornea, resulting in a less invasive surgery.
- SMILE (Small Incision Lenticule Extraction): This procedure is a minimally invasive option for correcting myopia and astigmatism. During the procedure, the surgeon will create a tiny incision in the cornea and remove a small piece of tissue to reshape it. It’s a quick and effective option to improve your vision, with minimal discomfort and downtime.
Your refractive eye surgery consultation
During your consultation, our experienced eye doctor will evaluate your eyes and discuss your vision correction options with you. Here is what you can expect during your appointment:
Medical history review
We will ask you about your medical history, including any past or present eye conditions, medications you are currently taking, and allergies. Your eye and overall health history will help us determine if you are a good candidate for LASIK or other vision correction options.
Comprehensive eye exam
The next step in your consultation will be a comprehensive eye exam. This exam will be similar to other eye exams you may have had in the past. We will examine your eyes and check your vision and eye health. We will also look for any signs of eye diseases that could affect your eligibility for LASIK or another refractive eye surgery.
Dry eye evaluation
Our optometrist will test your tear film and evaluate the quality of your tears to look for any signs of dry eye. While having dry eye won’t necessarily prevent you from getting LASIK, it’s crucial to address the condition before surgery to ensure a smooth and comfortable recovery. Dry eyes can impact the healing process after surgery and cause discomfort, which may affect your vision quality. We can evaluate your eyes to determine the best course of action before your LASIK procedure.
Discussion of treatment options
We will take the time to discuss your options in detail and make a recommendation based on your unique needs. We will explain the risks and benefits of different procedures, such as LASIK, PRK, and SMILE. Together, we’ll find the best solution for your eye health, vision correction needs, and lifestyle.
Our doctor will share all the information you need to take care of your eyes following surgery. They will discuss activities to avoid, how to properly use eye drops, and when to schedule follow-up appointments.
Cost and insurance
We will also discuss the cost of refractive eye surgery as well as payment options and insurance coverage.
Once we determine that LASIK surgery is the right option for you, we will refer you to a trusted surgeon in the area. Hanna Eye Care has established relationships with top surgeons and will ensure that you receive the highest quality care.
What is post-LASIK care?
After your refractive eye surgery, we will schedule follow-up visits to carefully monitor your healing eyes and track your improving vision. Our eye doctor will be there to answer any questions you may have and provide guidance on how you can ensure a thorough recovery.
At Hanna Eye Care in Jacksonville, we’re here to help you achieve your best vision with LASIK surgery and refractive eye surgery. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and take the first step toward clear, comfortable vision!